[Mldonkey-users] Re: using mldonkey on VERY low-bandwidth connections...

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: using mldonkey on VERY low-bandwidth connections...
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 15:25:44 +0100

Pierre Etchemaite <address@hidden> wrote:

> And, sad to say but true, I think that aMule, being based on eMule,
> uses several tricks to lower protocol overhead (more UDP protocol
> extensions to avoid unnecessary connections, shortcuts in protocol
> stages, that break the original "stateless" design of the protocol but
> also lower overhead, maybe more aggressive pruning of possibly dead
> sources and servers,...)

One feature of e/amule to automatically remove sources with no needed
parts is very nice, but before the removal, it tries if the source has
needed parts for other files. This is CPU consuming, but in general
leads to better download-rates, because the sources are distributed more
evenly across the files. This is even more true for new releases,
because then you find many sources which only share a part of a file.

S°

--
Fachbegriffe der Informatik - Einfach erklärt
264: Firewall