[Mldonkey-users] Multi-network download

From: Traumflug
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Multi-network download
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:11:02 +0100

Hi there,

so I have found this file of choice in the net, about 170 MB in size.

I can get it in the bittorrent network, using Azureus, at about 100K/s. But at 96.6 %, the download stops. No more chunks available.

On the donkey network, using mldonkey, the file appears complete occasionaly, but the download speed sticks at about 0.2 K/s. This makes 14 days for the download if the file is still available, then.

So I tried to combine both. Moving from mldonkey to Azureus is easy. Simply disable "fast resume mode", stop Azureus, copy the mldonkey temp file over the partial Azureus download, restart Azureus and after a minute, all is fine. Since the chunks on bittorrent are typically 256 KB, it doesn't matter wether a few partial downloaded ones are discarded. Downloads resume after few minutes.

The other direction becomes more difficult. So I stopped mldonkey, deleted files.ini, copied the 96.6 % download from Azureus over the mldonkey temp file, restarted mldonkey, did a scan_temp and recover_temp. After some minutes, mldonkey recognised four chunks as being complete. Four *sigh*. This makes about 25 % or 70 % download lost.

Another approach whould be to simply put the Azureus download into incoming/, then restart mldonkey. No recover_temp needed if you are fine with discarding the partial donloaded chunks.

So the question is, how whould you tell mldonkey about partial downloaded chunks? I can see the 0/1/2 notation in the single file view, but can't find an equivalent somewhere in the .ini files. mldonkey does remember it somewhere since partial downloaded chunks survive a mldonkey restart (unlike Azureus).

Thanks,