Re: [Mldonkey-users] using mldonkey on VERY low-bandwidth connections...

From: Traumflug
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] using mldonkey on VERY low-bandwidth connections...
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:08:44 +0100

Am 07.02.2004 um 17:23 schrieb Aniruddha Shankar:

The question is... what can I do to increase the data transfer speed on my low-bandwidth connection ?

Well, similar problem here. Can't tell you how mldonkey works with more than 64kbit since I've never seen it.

Here's an excerpt from my settings. I tweak them sometimes but now they seem to be the best you can get.

max_upload_slots 3
dynamic_slots true
max_hard_upload_rate 6
max_hard_download_rate 8
max_opened_connections 35
max_concurrent_downloads 30

Usually I throttle the concurrent downloads to about 6 via the pause mechanism. I see the very short connections as well but always thought this is the result of when people "test" their modified eMules or try to leech. Some of the connections are reliable and work, though.

Unfortunately, mldonkey doesn't stop to send out requests when the download rate is reached. A constant overhead of some 20 % seems unavoidable.

The python bittorrent client works lots better, btw. Dunno wether this is due to bittorrent being a better protocol or due to an imperfect donkey implementation in mldonkey. On Mac OS X, the alternatives for the donkey protocol are sparse.