Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gon

From: b8_bavard
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:32:43 +0100 (CET)

What I mean is:

- The only way to search Edonkey is either by keywords or by md4. md4
   cannot be used to publish arbitrary content (I mean, you cannot
   say: tomorrow, I will publish the new releases under this md4,
   because you don't know yet the md4 of the file you will
   publish). So, you need to fix a filename format for the releases:
   confirmed-releases-YYYYMMDD.dat for example. Unfortunately,
   everybody is able to create such a file, and to pollute the
   namespace, so the only solution would be to add the capability to
   sign publications: the description of the result would then contain
   tags like "public-key" and "signed-md4" so that the server can
   check that a particular result is published by the owner of the
   public-key (and remove the false releases), and people would be
   allowed to search files, adding a "public-key". It could probably
   even be done without the collaboration of the servers (they still
   need to be able to search for a particular key), your client just
   has to check the received results for correct keys and encryption
   of the md4 with the private key.

- b2_bavard