Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone

From: mithrandi
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:06:23 +0200

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 06:27:15 -0600, Curtis Magyar wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 14:02 +0200, mithrandi wrote:
> > Freenet is primarily concerned with distributing content in a secure and
> > anonymous fashion; no attempt is made to track the authenticity and
> > validity of that content. Also, most people find the overhead incurred
>
> If I'm not mistaken, freenet does guarantee the authenticity of the
> documents:

Ok, sorry, I was unclear in my terminology. Freenet guarantees the
"authenticity" of the document, but you could put up a Freenet page with
bogus ed2k:// URLs. Freenet doesn't have any mechanisms for tracking
virtual "identity", per se. What I'm referring to is something like:

    You get a release "document" which contains ed2k URLs for the latest
    version of Overnet. This release document is signed by the
    ShareReactor key, so you can be quite confident that the release is
    valid, since ShareReactor have a well-established reputation.

> I'm thinking of freenet only in the context of distributing a
> Sharereactor like page, with what Freenet calls a DBR or Date Based
> Redirect, where a new edition could be published daily with new
> releases.

Ok, this could possible work as a direct substitute for the current
"web" of indexing sites, but I'd like to take us a little further.
Essentially, you could compare the indexing model currently in use to
the BitTorrent filesharing model: you have a variety of completely
independent sites providing content; there is no automation, you choose
a site to go to to get the content. Users of these sites also submit
their own content, which may or may not be published by the indexing
site.

Now, I prefer the Overnet filesharing model, where anyone can share
anything, and everything is "joined" in a global sharing space; not
separated into small independent unconnected clusters like BitTorrent
is. I think the same model could work quite well when applied to
indexing information.

> I've always looked at the indexing webpages of the edonkey network as
> its greatest strength.  If that system is being jeopardized, then maybe
> the time has come for anonymous indexing.

As I say, this only seems to make sense if it is accompanied by
anonymous file sharing.