Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone

From: mithrandi
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:02:39 +0200

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 00:55:34 -0600, Curtis Magyar wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 21:21 +0200, mithrandi wrote:
> > There's no reason why it couldn't be written as a separate client,
> > though. In fact, I started hacking on a client like this just the other
> > day; the idea is:
> >
> >     * fully decentralized / p2p (no servers)
> >     * file identifiers are arbitrary; a "release" can have ed2k links,
> >       magnet links, ASCII art, whatever
> >     * releases are signed digitally
> >     * releases can also be "endorsed" by other users
>
> That sounds an aweful lot like freenet.  Has anyone given any thought to
> adding a freenet plugin to mldonkey?

Freenet is primarily concerned with distributing content in a secure and
anonymous fashion; no attempt is made to track the authenticity and
validity of that content. Also, most people find the overhead incurred
in various forms by the transport-level security of Freenet to be
unacceptable. A Freenet plugin for mldonkey might well be useful to some
people, but I don't think Freenet could be a substitute for the software
I'm hacking on.

If you're suggesting that I use Freenet as the transport layer for my
software, then that is a possibility to consider; however, Freenet is
very complex compared to, say, a simple Kademlia implementation. Also, I
don't think there is any merit in protecting the communication of
"indexing" information better than the actual data transfers itself.
Sure, Freenet would make it extremely hard to find out who is
distributing release information, but that's pretty pointless when it's
trivial to see who is actually sharing the files referred to in the
releases.

If I've missed something here, please point it out ;)