Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone

From: mithrandi
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:21:05 +0200

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:37:54 +0100, b8_bavard wrote:
> The main interest of Sharereactor is that they verify the downloads before
> publishing them. So, to do that, you need to use authentication keys
> to ensure that the sender is trustworthy. Unfortunately, Edonkey doesn't
> allow this easily (only servers could do that, so you need to modify them
> first).

There's no reason why it couldn't be written as a separate client,
though. In fact, I started hacking on a client like this just the other
day; the idea is:

    * fully decentralized / p2p (no servers)
    * file identifiers are arbitrary; a "release" can have ed2k links,
      magnet links, ASCII art, whatever
    * releases are signed digitally
    * releases can also be "endorsed" by other users

I haven't completely thought through all of the issues, I'd welcome any
thoughts / suggestions on the matter.