nufw-users

Re: [Nufw-users] Radius authentication

From: Johann Spies
Subject: Re: [Nufw-users] Radius authentication
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:48:33 +0200

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:21:12AM +0200, Eric Leblond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday, 2008 June 18 at 10:46:09 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> > Eric,
> >
> > I am making no progress.  If you can help me to understand a few
> > things I will appreciate it:
> >
> > 1. How many subscribers are on this list?
>
> Active or inactive...

I use mailing lists as a support base and, when I can, to help others.
So far you were the only one answering my questions...

> > 2. If I use radius authentication, what role does ldap play when using
> >    nufw?
>
> NuFW needs userid and user groups to be able to filter. The issue is
> that radius dos not provide this. You thus need an other method to
> access these informations. That's why I was suggesting to use LDAP
> (which is often a backend for Radius) to fetch userid and user groups.
> If you are using a different backend, you may try to configure NSS to
> use this backend.
>
> If you don't need to differentiate users and only want to do accounting
> and logging stuff, we could think to a fallback method where users will
> be in the same default group.

I was beginning the think in this direction.  Thanks for your answer.
It helps me to get some direction until the next question pops up.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the
      life; he that believeth in me, though he were dead,
      yet shall he live."                 John 11:25