Re: Bring Pytave into core

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Bring Pytave into core
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 09:10:48 -0400

On Wed, 2015-04-08 at 17:03 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> Who is currently maintaining it, if anyone?  Will they want to work on
> it as part of Octave, or continue to keep it as a separate project?

No one is maintaining it. I contacted David Grundberg, the original
author, and this is what he had to say about it:

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 07:23 +0200, David Grundberg wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> > Hey, I'm going to try to bring Pytave into Octave core. I don't
> > like very much how oct2py works. I think Pytave was a better idea.
> >
> > Any words of advice?
> >

> Sounds like good idea! I never put any effort into packaging which I
> think would have been necessary for wider usage. If it's in octave
> core, that's a little bit easier to do.
>
> Basically I think you should rethink every design decision made :)
> Also do away with the terrible name!
>
> At the time I wrote Pytave, there were not one but several slightly
> different array datatype libraries for Python. The code could
> probably be simpler now that the community settled for just one of
> them since.

I started looking at building Pytave. It's very crufty, and much of it
can be thankfully thrown out. I ran into problems with both Pytave and
Octave having their own config.h file. I expect there will be further
problems with the deprecation of the octave_map class, but these are
not insurmountable problems.

This weekend is US Pycon. I'll be meeting with Mike Miller, and maybe
we can have an impromptu hacking session on Pytave, an appropriate
endeavour for Pycon. :-)

- Jordi G. H.