Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [Octave Forge] Octave 4.0 call for packages
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:13:11 +0100

On 14 April 2015 at 11:48, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 14 Apr 2015, at 12:28, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> You don't need to ask for a pull request in bitbucket.  You can pull the
>> changes you reviewed into your local clone, and then push them to OF.
>> They would then update their own clone (and the one in their bitbucket
>> account), with your merge.
>
> Yes, but
>
> 1) this way the two repositories would remain different as
> the changes would be applied to OF but not bitbucket.

No.  They stay applied on both places.  If you pull changes from A and
then push those into B, the changes are the same. Only if then you push
more changes of your own on top of B, but then A just needs to pull them
to become updated. That's just the nature of a distributed VCS.

On 14 April 2015 at 11:31, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think at least sebastian should be given access as he is now the official
> maintainer
> of odepkg.
>
> [...]
>
> If sebastian does not have access I will merge the new version of odepkg
> from bitbucket into OF myself ASAP before the two versions start diverging
> too much.
>
> but I think at least he should be given write access, usually we require
> to see some code before giving access, in this case the work on the bitbucket
> repository should be enough as a code sample, right?

I was not aware that the package maintainer of odepkg had changed.
And why someone that was not even given access to OF?  What changes
from Sebastian are you talking about? I can only find two odepkg repos
in bitbucket:

    https://bitbucket.org/robs88/octave-odepkg
    https://bitbucket.org/KaKiLa/octave-odepkg

None of them with changes from Sebastian.

I actually thought you and KaKiLa were unofficially maintaining odepkg
and mentoring those students, since you were the only one to reply to
the students on the mailing list.

> If the main development of odepkg remains on bitbucket,
> then I think it makes sense to merge all changes there
> and periodically synchronize the OF repo, as is done, e.g.,
> for ltfat.

The packages whose main development happen outside OF are stk (kriging),
symbolic (octsympy), and ltfat.  In all cases, at least one of its
developers has push access to OF. So yes, I agree.

Carnë