GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 13:29:57 +0000

Dear List,

I have an idea for a GSoC project idea which I think would be very beneficial for Octave now that the ode* functions are in core. A major omission currently is ode15s which is a stiff differential solver which is very effective. The closest equivalent solver in odepkg is probably ode5r and, at least for the problems I solve this is much slower because the number of steps taken to solve the problem is far smaller with ode15s.

The documentation for ode15s can be found here:

http://uk.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/ode15s.html

Documentation on the implementation can be found in these references:

"The MATLAB ODE Suite", L. F. Shampine and M. W. Reichelt, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 18-1, 1997

"Solving Index-1 DAEs in MATLAB and Simulink", L. F. Shampine, M. W. Reichelt, and J. A. Kierzenka, SIAM Review, 41-3, 1999.

I have access to these papers.

What I don't have is the skills or knowledge to mentor a project implementing the function. I would have the time and ability to help monitor progress and give general coding advice to the student.

Would anyone else be interested in mentoring this project?

Regards,

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.