Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 08:45:55 +0000

On 06/03/16 15:25, Sebastian wrote:

Am 06.03.2016 um 12:17 schrieb Richard Crozier <address@hidden>:

On 05/03/16 19:38, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
Nir Krakauer-2 wrote
Hi Richard,

I would be willing to be a co-mentor of this if/when we have a suitable
student. Can you please add the project description to ​
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas ?

Nir

It's already there.

Thanks for offering to mentor Nir, this would be great. I would do my best to
help with all the 'boring' stuff like mercurial and setting up for octave
development etc.

Sebastian, there is no specific project to implement ode15s, it's mentioned in
the Matlab Compatible DAE, but I don't think ode15s is a DAE solver?

from the wiki: "The goal is to implement a Matlab compatible adaptive BDF solver for
Differential Algebraic Equations (DAEs). The interface would need to be compatible with
ode15s while for the backend the SUNDIALS library would be used, which has both a C and a
MEX interface. This function should eventually be included in Octave core together with
the other ODE solvers that will be released with version 4.2, but could be intially
developed as an addition to the odepkg package."

Perhaps you are thinking of ode15i? ode15s is a stiff ode solver.

Both ("s" and "i") use the same BDF method and can be used for DAEs and (stiff) ODEs.
However "i" is more tailored for implicit DAEs, i.e., f(x',x,t)=0 instead of M*x'=f(x,t).

Seb.

Thanks, it wasn't clear to me that this project aims to result in an implementation of ode15s, even though it's mentioned in the description. Mainly because I didn't think of it as a DAE solver (I've outlined my level of knowledge of the solvers already though).

I do wonder if fully implementing, and thoroughly testing a good, ML compatible version of ode15s isn't a fairly substantial project on it's own, but you'll have a much better idea of the work involved in this.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.