Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 08:46:33 +0000

On 07/03/16 17:33, Carlo De Falco wrote:

On 7 Mar 2016, at 16:44, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:
Well I was thinking it is quite hard, but that might be more of reflection of
myself than the project.

yes, you are right it is a non trivial project, but you should consider that the
library we proposed to use as a backend already implements exactly the same
algorithm as
ode15s.

It seems quite hard to do a lot more than get a really good and well tested
implementation of ode15s, with all the features such as event detection and
documentation. However, maybe a lot of the code exists already, I don't know
the detail of the ode solver implementations and how much can be reused.

sundials has all that and even more, there is no need to reuse code just write
a good interface.
that said, I admit it is definitely not a trivial task to add yet another
external dependency
library to core...

there will be a lot of difficulties with stuff such as writing DLD_FUNs, using
mercurial, making
autotools tests, etc.

would you like / have time to contribute to mentoring this part of the work, if
we find a good student?

Yes I'm willing to help with the 'boilerplate' work, I am familiar with autotools, mercurial, building Octave and have had a few patches accepted to Octave core. I'm very motivated to get ode15s implemented in Octave.

I'll be much more useful in fact if most of the actual numerical implementation already exists and the project is mostly just making this accessible in Octave. Sounds like you know jwe would be fine with the dependencies. One thing I haven't done in the past is DLD_FUNs, since I usually go with mex for Matlab compatibility, but happy to learn about this too.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.