Re: macOS 4.4.0 DMG (beta2) ready for testing

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: macOS 4.4.0 DMG (beta2) ready for testing
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 09:52:47 -0500 (CDT)

Dear sshah,

sshah wrote
> With Beta 5 App, I still get Internal Error 4 unless I set F77 to the
> system
> gfortran.  Then it installs the control package in the ~/octave-app/4.4.0
> directory and the package works without interfering with the Homebrew
> version.

Andreas has opened a bug report for you and we are trying to fix it
(https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app-bundler/issues/42). The issue
affects only some machines, we believe older Macs which have CPUs with
limited instruction sets. The reason is most probably that our Fortran is
not properly cross compiled.

sshah wrote
> In any case, if the App version remains incompatible with the Homebrew
> version, it is a non-starter for me.  I would rather have a command line
> invocation octave --gui  that is compatible with its non-gui version
> through
> Homebrew than an incompatible App.

The app-bundle is meant for macOS users that do not have a package manager
or do not know how to install one. You can compile also a homebrew version
with gui but this requires some manual work because it some  experimental
patches must be applied which the homebrew core maintainers do to like to
ship. I have explained how to do it at several occasions.

By the way, it's not the App that is incompatible, you have two
installations of Octave which work independently only if you configure them
correctly. You may want to look to
https://octave.org/doc/v4.4.0/Administrating-Packages.html. We will possibly
change the user folder in a future version of the app to
"~/Library/Application Support/Octave.app/<version>" to avoid this problem.

sshah wrote
> I also find running octave kernel in Jupyter notebook front-end better
> than
> octave gui.  It works much better on remote machines.

Please, let's not discuss whether the GUI is useful or not. If you like it
then use it and if not, then please stop using it...