Re: macOS 4.4.0 DMG (beta2) ready for testing

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: macOS 4.4.0 DMG (beta2) ready for testing
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:37:59 -0500 (CDT)

sshah wrote
> In testing the Beta versions, I was hoping to help.

and you did, you found the gfortran issue :)

sshah wrote
> Not sure what you meant above. Are you saying that Homebrew core
> maintainers
> have found some issues with the patches so they do not like to ship them
> with core octave?  Can you please point out those posts?

No, there is no issue with the patches. Let my oversimplify things: homebrew
dislike gui stuff in general and particularly if it requires patches which
are not accepted upstream. There has been several discussions, e.g. here:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/29059

sshah wrote
> If the core Homebrew version of octave had a gui option it would be best,
> as
> it would make user's own .oct files portable between the gui and cli
> versions.

In this case there would be just one octave that you start with or without
gui. By the way: of course you could also call the cli-version from the
App-bundle if you prefer. It's in there.

sshah wrote
> Granted it is orthogonal to your motivation to make the App bundle for Mac
> users who do not want to hassle with a package manger.

Actually, I am not a heavy GUI user myself :) However, my students always
for it....

Best
Sebastian