Re: macOS 4.4.0 DMG (beta2) ready for testing

From: sshah
Subject: Re: macOS 4.4.0 DMG (beta2) ready for testing
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 14:33:14 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Andrew,

With Beta 5 App, I still get Internal Error 4 unless I set F77 to the system
gfortran.  Then it installs the control package in the ~/octave-app/4.4.0
directory and the package works without interfering with the Homebrew
version.

However, with this workaround, my own .oct files from the homebrew version
in my local directory can not be used in the App as they are linked to the
corresponding dynamic libraries.

It would be much nicer if the dynamic libraries can be shared between the
App and the Homebrew versions of octave.  If one can detect in the App that
the correct homebrew version is already installed on the system, perhaps
that can be used by the App for both pkg install and for running .oct files.

In any case, if the App version remains incompatible with the Homebrew
version, it is a non-starter for me.  I would rather have a command line
invocation octave --gui  that is compatible with its non-gui version through
Homebrew than an incompatible App.

I also find running octave kernel in Jupyter notebook front-end better than
octave gui.  It works much better on remote machines.