pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Open ("o" key) feature now missing/broken?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Open ("o" key) feature now missing/broken?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:51:52 -0700

On Monday 11 November 2002 15:00, Christophe Lambin wrote:
>  To do this, we need to access the
> Gnome Mime Types (to know which app to open). However, the 0.12 and 0.13
> series are gtk2-only, with no gnome dependencies.

What about coding in a separate option, similar to the current browser and
editor choices?  In simplest form, it could just be a third, viewer, option,
not MIME controlled at all, but simply coded to activate upon user
invocation, on whatever attachments are there.  Thus, a user could select a
video viewer if that's what he used most, a still pix viewer, a text viewer,
or whatever, or, the user could select a MIME capable file manager or
browser, which would then open the file according to ITS MIME settings.

That triggered another idea... What about simply hooking it into the already
there browser choice, and letting the browser deal with it, as it would
normally process MIME types.  From there, the user could assumably open the
file in another application of choice, if necessary, using the settings of
THAT app, which could already be assumed to be set up as the user desires, if
they've put it in the browser slot.

Neither of the above should require PAN dealing with MIME.  There's good and
bad points to either.  I'd prefer the former, since it could then be a
one-step process to whichever app the user wanted, but the latter would allow
more flexibility in ultimate viewer choice.  Perhaps the best way to handle
it would be to default to using the browser chosen, but allow the user to
specify a seperate viewer app if so desired.

Of course, that looks fairly obvious and straightforward to me, but  I'm not
the one having to maintain the code, either..  <g>

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin