pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Open ("o" key) feature now missing/broken?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Open ("o" key) feature now missing/broken?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:54:32 -0700

On Sunday 10 November 2002 06:53, Chip Rose wrote:
> How come the "o" key doesn't automatically launch jpg's anymore in
> 0.13.1-5? I can't find anything in the Pan menu that allows launching of
> jpg's using another viewer (I use gqview).  [] This feature used to work
> perfectly, now it's apparently broken/missing completely.  I used to just
> hit the small "o" key, and they'd launch - now all they do is save into a
> directory.
>
> I just upgraded to Pan 0.13.0 (Debian 3.0 testing branch), from a Pan
> 0.11.2-1 (Debian 3.0 stable branch), so that I'd have support for yEnc
> formatted images, which older versions don't support. []  Now yEnc
> is supported, but automatic launching is broken!  (????)

They decided to take out some of the functions not used by many, in the gtk2
upgrade.   The idea is to keep the menu streamlined and functionality
non-bloated.  Unfortunately, I used that function frequently myself, for both
zooming and to let me open multiple images concurrently, and I sorely miss it
as well.

Could this be put back in, preferably either in the context menu, or with
hotkey functionality?  Please?

While we are at it, could Mark Unread be assigned the Shift-M hotkey?  M is
mark read, it just makes sense for Shift-M to be the reverse operation, mark
unread.  I'll often read a message, and realize I'm not in the mood to
respond to it in the detail it deserves, at the moment, so mark it unread,
again, to keep it displayed (I normally hide read messages) next time.  I
know how to get gtk2 to take customized key assignments, and have that turned
on, but unfortunately, PAN doesn't seem to retain customizations between
runs.  I'm not sure if that's because it's now the app responsibility, and
PAN just relied on gtk/gnome to do it in v1 (Pan 11.x and previous), or
because there's something wrong somewhere, but it gets VERY tiring, having to
reset that every time I load PAN.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin