pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Open ("o" key) feature now missing/broken?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Open ("o" key) feature now missing/broken?
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 04:06:38 -0700

On Monday 11 November 2002 21:22, Rob wrote:
> On Monday 11 November 2002 14:51, Duncan wrote:
> > What about coding in a separate option, similar to the current browser
> > and editor choices?  In simplest form, it could just be a third, viewer,
>
> Better yet, doesn't GNOME have an equivalent to the KDE "kfmclient exec" or
> Windows "start" shell commands?

The trouble there is that they are trying to avoid any such dependencies, at
this point.  gtk 2 alone may mean an eventual port to MSWormOS, which is sort
of what they are looking at, as I think gtk 2 is ported, or there is at least
work being done to do so.  However, requiring the entire set of Gnome or KDE
libraries to run PAN is something they are attempting to avoid, MSWormOS,
xBSD, Linux, or other *ix.  I agree with the principle -- avoiding the
dependency morass of an entire windowing environment, no matter the platform,
is a goal worth striving for.  That's why I suggested an independent method
of handling it.  (Of course, if they code my idea, you could put your own
"kfmclient exec" in that slot, with the same effect.)

> [] If there is no GNOME command-line equivalent to this
> functionality maybe even using kfmclient exec would be preferable to not
> having the functionality at all, which is how things stand now.  (It'd be
> better for me, since I have no idea how to set GNOME mime-types in the
> first place as I don't run GNOME. ;) )

Case in point as to why they don't want to load up PAN w/ a bunch of Gnome
dependencies, at this point.  Why should you have to install Gnome, just to
run one app?

I do have Gnome loaded, as many of Mdk's own management applets use gtk and
some I believe have those Gnome dependencies as well.  However, I too run KDE
as my preferred windowing environment.  Other than those Mdk  applets (and as
I mature in Linux, I'm more often using the command line version of those, or
editing the appropriate file, directly), PAN is about the only gtk/gnome app
I run regularly, so I'm all for keeping the Gnome dependencies down.
However, I've run the Gnome Control Panel, or whatever they call it, and
changed a few of the MIME dependencies and other settings as I felt
appropriate, pointing them to KDE apps such as KWrite and Konqueror at times
(that's what I have for editor and browser, in PAN, as well).  Still, having
both environments available is handy, at times, like during the KDE 3.1RC1
beta (at least the Mdk package), when KView wouldn't run right, so I was
using the Gnome equivilant, Electric Eyes (ee).  I prefer KView, tho, when it
works, as it is again now, on the RC2 beta.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin