pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Spellchecking

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Spellchecking
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:54:57 -0800

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 12:13:29PM -0500, Gene Ward Smith wrote:
> What is the most expeditious way to add spellchecking to pan?

I'd advise against it.
The ispell/pspell/aspell/gtkspell install chain isn't worth the pain.

There's been a huge thread on c.o.l.a about this recently, which
has got me looking at spellchecking again.  After 0.14.0 is out
the door I'm going to fix this by having only one prerequisite
for spellchecking: aspell >= 0.50:

* aspell 0.50 is basically a merging of aspell & pspell,
  so the pspell prerequisite drops out.
* gtkspell is only a few hundred lines of source code,
  so I can just bundle that along in Pan and add a credit
  to Evan Martin.

--
cheers,
Charles