pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Spellchecking

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Spellchecking
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:33:54 -0800

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 05:19:41PM -0600, Brad Sims wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2003 03:54 pm, Charles Kerr wrote:
> > There's been a huge thread on c.o.l.a about this recently, which
> > has got me looking at spellchecking again.  After 0.14.0 is out
> > the door I'm going to fix this by having only one prerequisite
> > for spellchecking: aspell >= 0.50:
>
> The only thing I see wrong with this is that so far only
> Mandrake Cooker has aspell newer than version .33...

And none of them carry gtkspell, so it's still marginally better.

> I didn't find the current setup that hard to install.
> Maybe I am just wierd or something.  <g>

You're in the minority.  The root problem is that RPM is not,
shall we say, aging well.  The people defending Pan in the c.o.l.a
thread seem to all be using Gentoo, Debian, or some other non-RPM
distro.

A second, equally persuasive reason to work with aspell directly
is that that way Pan can query the library to see what languages
are available.  That would be nice in an option menu in the compose
window; currently there's no way to specify anything but English.

> I /do/ like the idea of bundling gtkspell with Pan.
> One question though, if we have gtkspell installed already via RPM will
> the source bundled version screw it up? Or am I being paranoid for
> no reason?

Nah, no problem.

--
cheers,