pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Fit image to Window

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Fit image to Window
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:17:22 -0700

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:18:05 -0500:

> On 10/19 02:08 , Duncan wrote:
>> Why waste the screen real estate for the tabs when hotkeys work and
>> don't require that space?)
>
> true. good point.
>
> to carry that a step further, do you think it would be unreasonable to
> have an option to hide pan's menubar? (much like early versions of
> Netscape on Unix did). it would free up a little more space, at the cost
> of some users accidentally switching it off, and not knowing the
> keystrokes to switch it back on again. (it shouldn't be an easily-misset
> option... put it in a config dialog, surrounded by warnings).

That's what KDE does with most of their stuff.  Ctrl-M hides the menubar,
and (I think, I checked the don't show this dialog again a long time ago
so don't know for sure <g>) pops up a warning by default saying it was
just hidden, and what key combo to use to bring it back.  The same Ctrl-M
works in all the main KDE apps.

Another option they have is the "deskbar" menubar, at the top of the
screen, I guess the way OSX does it.  The menubar is then always in the
same place, so "muscle memory" takes effect, and there's only one, which
always has the menus from the active application in it, saving the screen
space for all the other apps.  I've never found this option useful, but I
imagine I would if I were limited to a single small screen.

> I don't use pan enough to remember all the keybindings (so I consult the
> menus regularly); but for those who do, it might be worthwhile, in order
> to gain an extra line or two of data.

Well, customized keybindings definitely helps, but you are correct,
remembering all of them is difficult, even for those (such as myself) that
often spend hours a day in PAN.  I'll often check the key binding first
time in a session, and remember it for the session or the day, then have
to check again days later when I use that feature again, having not used
it in the interim sessions.

Still, for those with only a single smallish monitor, I could easily see
it being very useful to be able to hide the menu, status, tab, /and/
toolbars, and hotkey between panes.

Benjamin Franklin