pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.98 "The plain old chaos of undifferentiated w

From: Motor
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.98 "The plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:44:34 +0100

On Sat, 20 May 2006 22:02:18 -0500, Charles Kerr wrote:

> There weren't a lot of feature changes this week. If your favorite
> feature hasn't returned net, now's a good time to speak up about it.

* The font settings don't seem to work. The choice appears to be saved,
but never applied.

* There's no option to open groups with the message threads expanded by
default.

I'm still using Pan 0.14.2.91 for all my newsreading. I've been trying to
think through exactly why that is...

1. Bugs - which is fair enough. It's still being developed, but crashing
makes sure I don't use it. The last time I tried a beta it kept crashing
with my Score file... but I think those particular crashers have all been
fixed now.

2. Fonts - the interface still feels annoyingly chunky. Perhaps I'll feel
more at home with it when the fonts selector works and I can shrink the
header/group fonts right down.

3. Groups - the way groups are currently managed makes things feel quite
clumsy to me. I noticed it particularly when trying to recreate my
interested groups. This is possibly because I used the layout:

+---------------+---------------+
|               |               |
+ Groups        |    Headers    |
|               |               |
|            BODY               |

and the box for filtering groups vanishes with this layout. But even when
changing the layout, the idea to have all the groups in one pane grouped
under a tree still doesn't work for me.