pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.98 "The plain old chaos of undifferentiated w

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.98 "The plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 16:11:52 +0000 (UTC)

Chris Maaskant <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 21 May
2006 15:28:59 +0200:

> First if read the first message of a thread that first messega shown in
> bold text to indicate that it has been read.
> But when i collapse the thread it is still shown as read, no more bold
> text eventhough i have not read the rest of the thread.
> This way i can not see if a new article has been posted in that thread,
> i have to check every thread by expanding them.

Collapsed threads with new messages underneath should show up underlined.
If it's not happening in your case, I'd guess it's due either to your
choice of font, or to the version of gtk+ you are running.  Also, try
starting PAN from a terminal window and see if it outputs any strange
messages that might indicate the problem.

> Second, if i use pan in a maximized window and then close it, the window
> doesn't get maximized the next time i start pan.
> This happens on a default install of SUSE 10.1 using GNOME.
> I'm not sure if this is a SUSE specific issue, i'll test it later on
> Ubuntu in vmware.

I cured that here, on KDE, using KDE's window management options.  I have
pan set to open on my "news" desktop, maximized to the bottom monitor of
my dual monitor setup.  (If you recall, 0.97 included a bugfix adding
specific window data back to the new pan, as it had been in 0.14.x,
based on my request, as without that I couldn't properly get PAN's main
window to maximize without also having the reply window and tasks window
maximize.)  Of course, what you can do on your setup depends on what window
manager you are using.

I thought the failure to remember maximization was due to my running it
on KDE, not a problem with PAN, per se.  Actually, the window manager can
retain that info if desired and some do, while other applications manage
it on their own.  Some applications work better with some managers than
others, tho.  I know KDE apps cooperate with KDE and with each other a bit
better than non-KDE apps, for instance, and would expect the same of GNOME
apps on a GNOME desktop.  Still, having the ability to tell kwin how to
handle specific windows and have it enforce that is quite useful.  =8^)