pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 03:51:26 +0100

   On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 12:48 -0800, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
   >         It has always been Adobe's intention that these CMap files can
   > be distributed with both commercial and open-source solutions.  We
   > believe that the included license enables that to happen - just as a
   > similar license exists for ICC profiles such as AdobeRGB. If there is
   > something in the license that prevents the ability of the gnu-pdf
   > project from using our CMaps, we would like to know the details.

   The AdobeRGB license is clearly no compatible with GPL and DSFG (Debian
   Free Software Guidelines) and this is has been discussed on several
   occasion[1]. The fact that there is a distinction between end user and
   distributors is by itself the first clue.

   Reading http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3680

That license doesnt qualify as a free software license nor as an open
source software license: it doesnt allow modification. It is a
proprietary license.

--
José E. Marchesi  <address@hidden>

GNU Project       http://www.gnu.org