pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 03:42:46 +0100

   1) Distribution of the existing Adobe CMap files.

           It has always been Adobe's intention that these CMap files can
   be distributed with both commercial and open-source solutions.  We
   believe that the included license enables that to happen - just as a
   similar license exists for ICC profiles such as AdobeRGB. If there is
   something in the license that prevents the ability of the gnu-pdf
   project from using our CMaps, we would like to know the details.

Adobe allows the distribution of the CMap files. But if modification
and distribution of modified versions and derived works is not allowed
it does not qualify as Free Software, nor Open Source Software. It is
not free software. It is not open source software.

The GNU Project wont distribute non-free software, so we would need
Adobe to release the CMap files under a free software license
(i.e. under terms assuring the freedoms specified in the free software
definition) in order to be able to distribute these files.

   2) Modification of the Adobe CMap files.

           Because these CMaps are used by numerous pieces of PDF consuming
   software (both from Adobe and elsewhere), and users have an expectation
   of consistency among their toolsets - we do not allow these files to be
   modified outside of Adobe.  It is our way of ensuring that users are
   guaranteed to be working with the latest, correct, information.

   3) Creation of your own equivalents

           Short answer - feel free.

           The CMap file format is publicly documented in an Adobe Technote
   and the contents are simply based on published information from the
   Unicode consortium and others.  There are no technical nor legal hurdles
   to someone recreating these documents using their own "database" of
   equivalent content - you just can't use our CMap files as a starting
   point.

Sorry, I am confused. Given 3), how can you ensure the warranty you
mention in 2)? If anyone can create an equivalent then users will find
different CMap files while using some PDF products. If you are talking
about your customers, then there is no problem because you distribute
your unmodified CMap files to your customers, isnt it?.

If you want to be sure people wont be confused by the existence of
modified versions of the CMap files, then put this requirement in your
distribution terms: "If you distribute a modified version of this file
then you should explicitly state it is a modified version in a visible
place". Or something like that.

Am I missing something?

--
José E. Marchesi  <address@hidden>