pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?

From: Martin Schröder
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:10:49 +0100

2007/12/6, Leonard Rosenthol <address@hidden>:
> 2) Modification of the Adobe CMap files.
>
>         Because these CMaps are used by numerous pieces of PDF consuming
> software (both from Adobe and elsewhere), and users have an expectation
> of consistency among their toolsets - we do not allow these files to be
> modified outside of Adobe.  It is our way of ensuring that users are
> guaranteed to be working with the latest, correct, information.

Understandable.

If I understand section 5.6.4 of the PDF ref correctly, a pdf consumer may
assume that a CMap "foo" is "foo" as defined in the standard (by Adobe or
ISO), otherwise "foo" has to be embedded. So what do I gain if I use a
modified CMap file? Don't I run into compatibility problems?

Best
   Martin