pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?

From: Kobayashi Noritada
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 20:38:15 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

Thank you for participating in the discussion as an Adobe-side person,
and for giving a nice and interesting self-introduction. ;-)

From: "Leonard Rosenthol"
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:48:14 -0800

> 2) Modification of the Adobe CMap files.
>
>       Because these CMaps are used by numerous pieces of PDF consuming
> software (both from Adobe and elsewhere), and users have an expectation
> of consistency among their toolsets - we do not allow these files to be
> modified outside of Adobe.  It is our way of ensuring that users are
> guaranteed to be working with the latest, correct, information.

I know Adobe's position that respects assurance to its software users
and does not want incompatible mapping.  However, the current license
may force the FLOSS community to create unique mapping and it can be
incompatible unfortunately (although it should not be)...

BTW Unicode is also an important mapping without which we Japanese
cannot live without.  However, it can be supported by glibc because
Unicode data is distributed under the license that permits
modification.  This makes it possible for us to use Unicode on
GNU/Linux as well as on commercial operating systems.  Is it hard to
make the same situation for CMaps?

If my post breaks the discussion, or is a repetition of many
predecessors, or I make some errors, sorry.

Many thanks,

-nori