Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Question for the Pros

From: Tony (Angles) Puglisi
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Question for the Pros
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:17:59 +0000

Joel Webb (address@hidden) wrote*:

>I am having a problem though with downloading attachments from email and
downloading
>vcards out of the addressbook. I am thinking that this is an apache problem or
>configuration issue in the phpGW setup.

* 2 Things:
1) as for uploading attachments (ex. you are attaching a file to an email you
are
about to send), see the file email/doc/FAQ.txt

2) as for downloading attachments, there is a browser class in phpgw that is
supposed to feed the correct mime Type/Subtype (ex. text/plain) data to the
client
browser in the http headers. If this stuff works correctly, then your browser
takes
over the job of figuring out what to so with the incoming attachment. If this
data
is not sent out right, then the client browser gets confused.

We're talking about these http headers (stuff in brackets [] is like a variable
that gets replaced):

I checked class.browser in HEAD and this seems to look OK, (but I don't know
much
about the request headers stuff).

That being the case, it's my job to make sure the browser class gets the correct
information. Not a big deal, but if the original email does not include this
information (mime Type/Subtype) or only a portion of it, mime RFCs give me some
ability to fill in default values, but I wouldn't want to guess wrong. The real
fallback default values are "application/octet-stream" which simply tells the
browser to download the file.

I suspect either:
(1) I'm not supplying enough detailed information to the browser class, or
(2) the browser class is making incorrect assumptions about the what syntax the
client's browser wants to see in these http request headers.
Or both ?
--
that's "angle" as in geometry