RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue

From: SidY
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:15:59 +1000

Sounds pretty logical to me...

Sid

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Schader [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Thursday, 17 January 2002 4:13 PM
To: address@hidden

Dan,

I looked into this gif issue tonight, and found the following statement on
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html :

Decoding GIFs is a different issue. The Unisys and IBM patents are
both written in such a way that they do not apply to a program which
can only uncompress LZW format and cannot compress. Therefore we
can and will include support for displaying GIF files in GNU software.

So I guess I don't see what the problem is, except for the very act of
providing the gifs in the first place. If this is the main issue, then we
could
get around that by using GNU's own "libungif" to create gif files that
are not compressed using LZW, if this would not cause a big bandwidth
problem. People could then have the option to re-optimize the
uncompressed or pseudo gifs to their own prefernce. I personally do not see
where this would violate any GNU standards, because of the above statement
and GNU's own support of libungif.

Comments, anyone?

Bob Schader