Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Should and Shall in standards

From: Mark A Peters
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Should and Shall in standards
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:42:31 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Andrew M Cohill wrote:

> >     It uses the words "you should not inlcude GIF's in..." it does *not* say
> >     "you cannot" or "you shall not". It says "should not", which implies an
> >     option.
> >
> >It is a requirement, not an option.  This file always states
> >requirements with "should not", never "cannot" or "shall not".  The
> >file uses "cannot" only for factual statements about what is possible,
> >and never uses "shall" at all.
>
>   I was a member of the ANSI Standards Committee HFES-200 (Software
> Ergonomics) for more than 10 years.
>
> All ANSI standards  use "should" and "shall" in this way:
>
> Should-- strongly encouraged to do it, but it is not required.
>
> Shall--to be in compliance with the standard, you must do it.
>
> We also were part of the ISO 9241 Standards Committee, and the
> Europeans also followed this practice.

This was a very big issue I seen when looking back at the FSF/GNU's view
of the GIF patent.  I know what the difference is by reading a "should
not" / "can not" or a "shall not", and there is no ambiguities by what is
meant.

Being a federal employee serving in the US military I see/write this style
of wording everyday in software requirements/system specs.  We have to
write our SRS in a very specific manner in an effort to explicitly
identify what we want/need from potential government contractors or other
federal agencies.

Thanks,
Mark A Peters (Skeeter)