Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:48:09 +0100

M. R. Brown writes:

 > My advice to the phpGW project is to stick to your guns.  The FSF has a
 > history of turning simple technical issues into moral and political tirades
 > (or crusades, same thing).  I had long since subscribed to not using GIFs
 > at all on my webpages, but I had the recent misfortune to find out the hard
 > way that PNGs aren't supported properly by most browsers (Netscape 4.x
 > being the primary culprit).  So I had to reevaluate my stance, in order to
 > achieve the level of professionalism my users would expect.  I don't
 > understand why the FSF can't do the same.  This is a *technical* issue, why
 > can't it be kept that way?

        This is specially interesting and a very good example. You say
that you initially decided not to use GIFs. That was a a moral decision
since no legal point forced you to do so. Then, for technical reasons,
you decided to change your mind. Technical reasons prevailed moral.

        The GNU project does exactly the opposite. It boycotts GIF for
moral reasons, even when it has technical drawbacks. It won't change its
mind in the middle of the river.

        I hope you can accept and support this decision.

        Cheers,