Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:29:55 -0800

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> At the same time, I'd like to make a personal request:  Please don't
> leave GNU over this kind of thing.  I say this, because leaving GNU
> would imply leaving DotGNU, and we really need a webservice-enabled
> groupware application.

I do not want to leave GNU either. This is not something I am taking
lightly at all. I, probably more than anyone, am accutely aware of the
global impact of leaving GNU. But as the chosen and accepted leader of
phpGroupWare I have a responsibility to this team, who has worked so
hard, to consider the needs of our project first and foremost.

> I'm writing this as someone who has personally been strongly
> involved in challenging specific applications of GNU policy, when
> they didn't seem to make sense to me.  But IMHO leaving GNU over
> a matter like this really makes sense only for a project where
> the leaders have an "opensource" mindset, as opposed to having a
> "Free Software" mindset.  The reason for this is that when you
> leave GNU, that effectively communicates that you agree with the
> "opensource rebellion" against the Free Software Foundation.

I agree that some will see it this way. I think the team has voiced that
we just think that GNU's stance on the gif issue seems too extreme. Not
that we dont want to accept the general GNU philosophy.

I think we will find a solution soon.

Dan