Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] [OT?] SQL for hosted sites

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] [OT?] SQL for hosted sites
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:51:14 -0800

Jason Wilcox wrote:

> But if the code was changed to allow for the
> <prefixvariable>_<appanme>_<tablename> it wouldn't mess the code up
> at all, it should be as simple as adding a new variable and setting
> that up in the config.

There is no code to control <appname>_<tablename>. Its just a convention
we use. So updating to what you want is not that easy, and isnt going to
get done from what i can tell. Its just not worth the overhead required
for so little gain.

> Making that modification doesn't lead to any more confusion than
> there is now and as for people looking at the database they are most
> likely the ones who set it up in the first place so they would know
> that it is a phpgroupware table by the prefix they specified.
>
> Supporting hosted users who share mysql installations or who want to
> host multiple installations on a single database (as I must) need
> this type of functionality, it may be a small subset but it would be
> a nice feature.

I can understand your need, but I dont think everyone else would be
happy with the additional overhead. The only possible option for you to
get this done, would be to do it yourself, and submit a patch file for
each app you updated. And if you do want to do this, then use a constant
that would be added to the header.inc.php, so that it would have as
little impact on performance as possible. Even after you do all this
work, there is no guarentee that the leadership team would accept the
patches into the CVS tree... but it would be your only real shot.

Dan