Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] group/team scheduling

From: Ralf Becker
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] group/team scheduling
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 10:29:19 +0200

Hi Stephan,

after checking out several collaboration applications supporting some
sort of team scheduling features, I decided to take a closer look at
phpgroupware and its calendar module. I first installed version
0.9.14-RC3 which was straightforward so I could start hacking in some
users and appointments right away.
I then played with it a little and added a function that would give me
an additional view similar to and based on the function "planner" in
class "uicalendar", sorted by user instead of category.
During my work I noticed that there are still quite a few bugs in the
software. Here are some of them that I remember regarding the planner

- the ACL mechanism (granting access) does not work correctly, e.g.
  granting access to a group does not have the desired effect.
- events scheduled accross months (e.g.: Aug. 30th - Sep. 2nd) are not shown correctly.
- events scheduled over more than a month (e.g.: Aug 1st - Dec 15th)
  are not shown correctly
- events repeating on a daily basis show up as one non-repeating event
  lasting for one day
- colouring of events according to their category does not work
  I added an optional field "cat_color" to the table "phpgw_categories"
  and extended the category definition form with a color text field to
  make it work, but what happens if an event is associated with more
  than one category?

All of these error have been korrected by me and are at the moment under infolog/calendar in HEAD, to be integrated by skeeter into the standard calendar. If you need this features, feel free to use the version in infolog, it has infolog-integration too.

After looking into things a bit, I figured that there must have been a
lot of changes since RC3 and decided to check out the HEAD revision from
CVS. Unfortunately, I did not manage to get past the setup procedure:

---------- snip ----------
phpGroupWare version 0.9.15.003 Setup III Template Error: loadfile: B_single_domain is not a valid handle.
Halted.
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in <PATH_TO_phpgroupware>/phpgwapi/inc/class.Template.inc.php on line 484
---------- snip ----------

I then had a similar experience trying to get RC4 to work - The setup
was fine but then the application permanently runs into a network
timeout...

---------- snip ----------
Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/phpgroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.network.inc.php
on line 81
---------- snip ----------

I tested on two machines with the following SuSE/PHP4 combinations:
  1. SuSE 6.4 with PHP 4.2.2 (self compiled Apache with modules)
  2. SuSE 8.0 with PHP 4.1.0 (as is shipped with the distribution)

I am interested in starting to use the phpgroupware application
framework in general and would like to start with the calendar module
for group/team scheduling with a planner view sorted by user as
indicated above. I am therefore also willing to contribute. Now I was
wondering if anyone could give me some hints regarding the following
question:
Which branch should I base my work on? I would think that the most
natural place would be the HEAD branch since I would expect most of the
enhancements, new features and bugfixes there. But... how do I get it to
run? In other words can anyone help me getting past the setup procedure?

Any comments, questions and help on what I am planning to do would be
greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Stephan Cremer.