[Phpgroupware-developers] licene debate was: We cant continue to work li

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] licene debate was: We cant continue to work like we do at the moment
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:28:03 -0700

Reiner Jung wrote:

Have you ever read the GPL/LGPL and what the FSF has to say?
We are licensed under the GPL/LGPL for a reason. Those licenses are political by nature and are generally described as "Social Contracts" more than legal ones.

Dan

Maybe you read the license from cool projects/people like BSD/Theo de
Raadt ( www.openbsd.org ) This is really free software.
I am very well aware of the BSD license, and I specificly choose the GPL instead.

While yes, the BSD license can be called more free in one way, its also less free in another. Basicly the freedom I want is the freedom of the code, whereas the BSD is more free for the user. Example, the BSD license allows people to take the code and enslave it by taking it and making alterate versions propritary. The GPL does not allow the code to become enslaved by anyone. To also explain why I support the LGPL for the API is that is still protected from becoming enslaved, yet it doesnt put limits on working with enslaved add-on apps. The GCC is a good example of a compiler and base libs which can be used to create propritary apps. The idea is that if its not possible to do that, then many will be forced to use something else. Likewise businesses who need to have a proprietary app would have to choose some other base groupware solution. This is a loss to us, because it means less users and development from these sources on our GPL/LGPL'd parts. We loss nothing by allowing this, because all their changes to the GPL/LGPL'd parts must be fed back to us.

Dan