Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] We cant continue to work like we do at the

From: Lars Kneschke
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] We cant continue to work like we do at the moment
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:52:52 +0200

address@hidden schrieb:

Some of my statements may sound harsh or drastic. But please remember that
english is not my main language.

>hey,
>ralf, you imported the jscal to the phpgwapi which is the core of
>phpgw
>and were we have strictly agreements and rules, as they are i.e.
>discussing changes with the other developers _before_ going ahead
>and
>comitting them.
>
>we have ideas how to handle js in phpgw and it needs to be discussed
>with the other developers. you can not just commit all what you get
>in
>your mind without to talk to the other developers. this is not
>demoratically, this is called ignorant.

It is ignorant if he had break something. He did not break anything and many
users were happy about that feature. It was the right place for this kind of
feature.
I you reacted to harsh. If he did break anything, than it would have been
the right reaction. But he just added a feature, many people where happy
about and he did break nothing.
If have such harsh rules, that we can't simply add some little features
without discussing before, the fun of the project gets lost.
Ralf also talked with Dave later about this, and agreed to move the code to
the right place, after the will be some general js-handling functions in the
api.

>the author of jscalendar got informed via email about the license
>break
>through the additional sentense nad hopefully will change the header
>info
>so we can reimport that jscalendar properly.
Why can't we let this class in cvs until the gets cleared?

>> 1) Takeing away my commit-right
>> As you can see from the IRC logs, ceb not even consulted skwashd
>before
>> she took away my commit-rights. Takeing away the commit-rights of
>> developer is an extrem harsh measure, which in no project, which
>calls
>> itself democratic, can be taken without a big consens of the other
>> developers, just by one (not even elected) leader.
>>

>as you should know we do you just have an irc channel to talk ...
>there
>are many other possibilities to have a chat, as there are by phone,
>by
>mail, another channel maybe .... let me see if i forgot one ;)
>(sorry but this sounds too funny... *As you can see from the IRC
>logs*)
>
>skwashd and seek3r of course got informed
Got informed after you took away the commit rights?
Anyway, i think that such things need to be discussed in public. I would
expect a email to the developers list, why anyone's cvs write access become
removed.

>ralf, you forgot to tell this is not the first time you went ahead
>and
>just committed changes to the api without telling someone. it was an
>agreement
>to discuss and descide togehter _before_ adding changes. to remove you
>from
>the phpgwapi developer list was the last way to finally stop your
>acting
>to behave as phpgroupware would be your private project.
When did he do this? He is doing much for phpgw at the moment. Should he
talk about every little thing, before commiting?
He did no rewrote the whole api, he just added another class. He did break
nothing. One phone call or email to the developers list, delaring why we
can't have this class in cvs would also have be a way to solve this problem.

>> 2) The buying for the new server-box
>to get an own webserver was the only way to follow the agreement we
>made.
>during our discussions concerning the structure change we agreed in
>having
>our homepage on a box which is hosted by the fsf. since the fsf isnt
>able
>to grant us shell access to one of their boxes we had to get an own
>one.
>there hasnt been another choice.
Ups?! Nothing against dave.
But you know that we had another choice!!
Toshiba did sponsor as a server for free. RedHat did sponsor us a RedHat
Enterpriser distribution for free. Ralf had a chance to put this server for
free into the internet. I had also a contact for getting this server online
for free.
Don't tell me, that you and dave did not know about it.
I can also not remeber that there was some discussion before buying some
server for 800$. Will dave also get his cvs-write rights removed.

>to avoid nonfree or other software which isnt licensed under gpl/lgpl
>is
>the correct way to go as a gnu package ... we shouldnt look at
>someone
>else who uses an incorrect way of handling this kind of probs. just
>because some other projects use nonfree or incorrect licensed code i
>dont
>think we should do it the same way.
I know that is important to have a look at the licenses. But you can also
just contact the author of this class and remove the code after he refuses
to change the license.

>right, ralf, i am unhappy about your ignorance and the missing contact
>the other developers before committing changes to our api. i really
>would
>like to work in a team where we can trust each other and where we can
>be
>sure all developers take each other seriously... i get the strong
>impression you just start complaining if something doesnt work out in
>way you want it. democracy doesnt mean we have to accept all of ralf
>beckers ideas added to our projects cvs and deal with it afterwards
>... :)
Come on! He never thought or stated something like that. The same is true
for any other developer.
Ralf accepted to change the location of his files after dave commits his
js-class. He accpeted it before you took his cvs rights away.
i can't understand why you react like ralf is evil. He just contributed some
code. If we don't like that code, we can change it easily. Or we talk to
ralf and let him change the code himself.

>i hope we finally get the 0.9.16 release out after a delay of some
>month,
>so we can actually start improving head, do some development. and im
>more
>than tired of this fights.
As long as we don't resolve our internal problems, nothing will change after
the release.

Cu

--
written with FeLaMiMail