Re: [Protux-devel] Bugs?

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Bugs?
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 23:28:54 +0200

Op woensdag 2 juli 2003 00:11, schreef Luciano Giordana:
> Did you remove the  peak manually ?

yes I removed it by hand, but this worked before. After removing the peakfile
by hand, it was recreated. (Hm, still not getting why it shouldn't work, it
worked before?! and peak.cc is regenarating the peakfile if it doesn't exist)
(Ehm, after reading this twice, I think I get it. :), it is actually the same
problem as with the "drag and drop" bug, 2 processes try to read/write to/on
the same object/variable, which sometimes results in a segfault, or a wrong
value.)

> protux is not prepared to handle this situation, that's why it is crashing.
>
> If you want a good  challenge, you could try to make peak generation run in
> a separated thread. Like in Vegas. If any class->recreate detects that
> there is no peak for a given Audio, it will show
>
> BUILDING PEAKS , in the clips;
>
> mean while, a thread starts to generate (or regenerate) the peaks.
>
> When the peaks are available (you can create a boolean flag for it),
> recreate is called to redraw the peaks.
>
> I suggest that you let it for later. By now, you can only detect if peak is
> available, and in case it is not, show something like. "PEAKS NOT
> AVAILABLE" on the clips..
>

> Dont add this to BUGLIST or on savannah, since it always crashed in such
> situation. It is a matter of improvement, not bug.
Oke, but I already added it to BUGLIST :(, removed it also. But it is indeed
not a bug.

Thanks,

Remon

P.S. A bit offtopic, but the audio streams are directly written/read to/from
the hard disk. Is there a plan to make some kind of "diskStream/audioStream"
class which take's care of the reading/writing of the Streams to the hard
disk. This has the benefit of making it possible to do things (peakbuilding)
on the fly and gives much improvment on disk I/O ? Just an idea :)