pspp-users

Re: Spanish Edition (was: PSPP-BUG: Request for help...)

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Spanish Edition (was: PSPP-BUG: Request for help...)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:37:00 +0000

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 01:17:22PM -0800, Eliana wrote:

     Wow!  Since the search engines do not seem to have gotten the point,
     let me say here for the benefit of others looking for foreign language
     versions,  that the above page has links to add ons (is that the right
     word?) that will generate PSPP's error messages in Brazilian
     Portuguese,  Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Lithuanian , Slovenian,
     and Spanish.

     But where does someone go to find out how to install these and get
     them recognized by PSPP?

They are not "add-ons".  All the translations are distributed with PSPP itself.
If the user's login environment is set to (say) German, then that's the language
that PSPP will display its messages.   Usually, no special configuration is
needed.

     >  >    However,  the web version does not seem to have  been set up with
html
     >  >     CODE tags, at this point (I tested with translate.yahoo.com and
     >  >    translate.google.com).   Those are html tags that tell translation
     >  >   engines not to translate the text indicated.
     >
     > This is a very good point.  We should fix that.  Could you please open a
bug
     > report so that we don't forget about it.

     Can I do that via email or must it be done via the web?  Also, should

Doing it via the web page at http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=pspp is
prefered.
That way it is less likely to be overlooked.

     I also open a bug report with suggestions about improving search
     engine awareness of the foreign language versions?

For reasons given above, I don't think anything is needed in this area.

        There needs to be some mention of the other languages on the home page.

Yes, that seems like a reasonable suggestion.

     Also, the link on the PSPP home page that goes to a Blog in "en"
     actually leads me to what I think is the Brazilian Portuguese version
     of the blog.

It would seem that you are right.

     Is that 3 bug reports?

2 or 3 - I've lost count.  1 bug report per issue, please.  That way we can keep
track of what has been fixed and what hasn't.

Thanks for helping to improve PSPP.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3