pspp-users

Re: Spanish Edition (was: PSPP-BUG: Request for help...)

From: Eliana
Subject: Re: Spanish Edition (was: PSPP-BUG: Request for help...)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:06:17 -0800

Dear Ramon,

Your inquiry was forwarded to the PSPP USERS mailing list, and you may
wish to subscribe via  the url provided at the bottom of this message.
 Then, please reply to the address@hidden list so you can get more
feedback from mailing list subscribers.

I would  imagine that the pspp team would welcome someone who could
help create another language interface.

But since that does not seem to be available yet (and someone correct
me if I am wrong), then I tried to find other free statistical
software for Linux you could use.

It would help to know what level of statistics and types of procedures
you are needing, but here is what I found.

A program called ViSta is difficult to find a working download page,
the only one I could find for Linux is an early version which is
buggy.  You could write the author.

 ViSta: The Visual Statistics System
     http://forrest.psych.unc.edu/research/vista-frames/unixvista.html

R does have Spanish documentation, and a very active mailing list.

CRAN: Contributed Documentation
     http://cran.r-project.org/other-docs.html

But something else you might want to consider is GenStat, which is
available for free for qualifying individuals, including educators in
developing countries.  It says there is Linux available.

GenStat Discovery | VSN International

     http://www.vsni.co.uk/es/software/discovery/genstat-discovery

Two other options that I can think of are:

1.  Use PSPP in English, providing your students with a link to the
web based  PSPP Users Manual, which they could read using Google
Translate or whatever translation engine they prefer.

http://pspp.benpfaff.org/~blp/pspp-master/latest/user-manual/html_node/index.html

However,  the web version does not seem to have  been set up with html
 CODE tags, at this point (I tested with translate.yahoo.com and
translate.google.com).   Those are html tags that tell translation
engines not to translate the text indicated.

Without those tags, translation engines happily translate commands
into the foreign language, totally disregarding their sanctity and
rendering the translation very confusing.

 Insertion of CODE tags is something that should be considered if it
has not already been added as a feature of the online manual.   (NOTE
to PSPP team:  adding these tags is not a  trivial project, but
requires no knowledge of any foreign language, and I believe would
render the online manual a meaningful document for a larger portion of
the international community without requiring developing separate
ports for each language.)

2.  The other option which I would expect is already available in
Spanish, would be to have your students learn how to use the
statistical functions provided in whatever free spreadsheet program is
included with your Ubuntu Distribution.  If none is included,  Open
Office Calc is free software that will run on Linux and does include
many statistical functions.

Eliana