qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The QEMU Accelerator Module

From: Felipe Sanchez
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The QEMU Accelerator Module
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:12:57 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> KQEMU is _not_ open source as the rest of QEMU. It is a proprietary
> kernel module (read the LICENSE file) and will stay so until a gentle
> company decides to subsidy the QEMU project.

OK, so how much would a "gentle subsidy" be?

My company (like many others) is starting to use QEMU as a part (value add
in some cases, core in others) of some products. Although not required
too, I've personally taken interest in the QEMU project, contributed small
patches and intend to contribute a lot more once I can fully grasp QEMU's
code. That's the spirit of free software I think. We use your project and
we contribute our code and testing to it because it's in everyone's
interest to do so.

I understand Fabrice's new position on KQEMU (Specially after reading
Natalia's insightful comment). So we (my company) would really like to
help. If coding/testing is not enough that's ok. However we are not a big
operation (I'd say we are a rather small one) so we have not much buck to
spare in subsidizing a project like big fish like Novell or IBM would. So
how about setting up a fund, or a community raising effort or something so
all the so-far happy QEMU users and companies can help Fabrice continue to
develop this project?

It has been seen before. Community fund rasing efforts are often
succesful. All we need is a goal (Hence the subject of this e-mail). How
much is it? Maybe even a Slashdot front page story would be in order,
don't you think so?  ;-)

Felipe.