qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] runtime configurable semihosting

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] runtime configurable semihosting
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 17:52:06 +0000

On 13 November 2014 17:48, Christopher Covington <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Liviu,
>
> On 11/12/2014 02:17 PM, Liviu Ionescu wrote:
>>
>>> semihosting ... be runtime configurable on this, I think.
>>
>> I took a quick look at the syntax of command options and monitor commands,
>> and I would suggest the following:
>>
>> - extend the option "-semihosting" with an optional
>> "target=native|gdb|auto", default auto
>>
>> - if necessary, add a monitor command "semihosting target=native|gdb|auto",
>> default auto
>>
>> any comments?
>
> How do these targets change the existing behavior?

Our current behaviour is "auto", which means "send semihosting
commands via gdb if and only if the gdbstub has a gdb connected
when the first semihosting command is made by the guest". "native"
would mean "handle semihosting ourselves even if there's a gdb
connected". I'm not sure how useful "gdb" is as distinct from
"auto" (what do you do with the semihosting requests if no
gdb is connected in this case?).

-- PMM