Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:31:00 +0200

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 15:45, Dean Roehrich wrote:
> >From:  "Jason M. Felice" <address@hidden>
> >
> >--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr
> >
> >Attached is a patch which implements `quilt commit'.  There's no reason
> >the command needs to be CVS-specific in the future, but that's what I
> >use.
>
> I'll try to look at this over the next few days.  I have some generic quilt
> extensions that allow quilt to work on top of source control systems like BK
> and an internal SGI tool that sits on top of RCS.

I am not happy about hard-coding CVS specifics into quilt. We could
provide some sort of hook mechanism to fix this. What's relevant to
version control is which files have been modified, added, and removed,
so a simple function in .quiltrc like this would probably do:

  commit_hook() {
    while read op from to; do
      case op in
        -) echo remove $to ;;
        +) echo add $to ;;
        *) echo modify $to:
           diff -u $from $to ;;
      esac
    done
  }

we can of course add implementations for CVS and friends.

Quilt does not understand things like renames, so integration with
version control systems that have this operation won't be perfect.

Cheers,
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>
SUSE Labs, SUSE LINUX AG