Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.

From: Jason M. Felice
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:54:26 -0400

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 04:31:00PM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 15:45, Dean Roehrich wrote:
> > >From:  "Jason M. Felice" <address@hidden>
> > >
> > >--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr
> > >
> > >Attached is a patch which implements `quilt commit'.  There's no reason
> > >the command needs to be CVS-specific in the future, but that's what I
> > >use.
> >
> > I'll try to look at this over the next few days.  I have some generic quilt
> > extensions that allow quilt to work on top of source control systems like BK
> > and an internal SGI tool that sits on top of RCS.
>
> I am not happy about hard-coding CVS specifics into quilt. We could
> provide some sort of hook mechanism to fix this. What's relevant to
> version control is which files have been modified, added, and removed,
> so a simple function in .quiltrc like this would probably do:
>
>   commit_hook() {
>     while read op from to; do
>       case op in
>       -) echo remove $to ;;
>       +) echo add $to ;;
>       *) echo modify $to:
>          diff -u $from $to ;;
>       esac
>     done
>   }
>
> we can of course add implementations for CVS and friends.

If I understand what you are suggesting, a user could not have more than one
VCS.  I might have different types of repositories on my laptop (I've been
known to use CVS and arch for different projects).  I'd like for `quilt
commit' to autodetect the appropriate VCS and do the commit... this
should be pretty easy to do.  I'd like to avoid coding different
functions in a .quiltrc to figure this out.

It's also possible to have a patch span different types of repositories.
I've worked on an arch module for a OSS project using CVS, so detecting
the VCS per directory would be nice.

We could provide a VCS function library which wraps everything and have
vcs_detect() and vcs_commit().  Perhaps later, I'd like a vcs_update()
(this can get hairy and pretty sophisticated-- what it should do is pop
the stack, do a VCS update, then push patches back on, but it would need
to detect patches which have been applied or partially applied and stop
when conflicts occur).