Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.

From: Dean Roehrich
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:16:34 -0500

>From:  Joe Green <address@hidden>

>Yes, the difference in commit behaviors might be difficult to resolve to
>everyone's satisfaction.  To me it seems natural for "quilt commit" to
>commit the patches/series, since that where quilt keeps its long-term

What does commit mean to you?  Are you using CVS terms?  Does it mean, "check
specified files into the SCM repository"?

So let's look at the opposite--in a BK tree a "quilt push" might first have to
checkout the series file and any necessary patch files.  A "quilt import"
might have to checkout the series file.

>Putting the commit issue aside for the moment, perhaps the right thing
>for the other hooks is to have separate functions like
>"scm_series_modify", "scm_patch_add", "scm_file_add", etc., and allow
>people to extend the ones they want?

So let's lay out some requirements for the various hooks that cover our needs,
and a way for people to get quilt to use the particular hooks they want active
in any particular source tree.

We need the ability to have the series file and the individual patch files
managed by an SCM and for quilt to communicate with that SCM before modifying
the series file or the patch files.  This should include notifying the SCM
before a new patch file is added to the patches directory.  This would cover
"quilt new", "quilt import", "quilt refresh", "quilt delete",....?

We need the ability to have the files being patched managed by an SCM and for
quilt to communicate with that SCM about any files that a "quilt push" will
modify or create.  This would cover "quilt add" and "quilt push" at least.  If
we were really ambitious it could cover "quilt remove" and "quilt pop".

Dean