Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:52:22 +0200

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 18:16, Dean Roehrich wrote:
> >From:  Joe Green <address@hidden>
>
> >Yes, the difference in commit behaviors might be difficult to resolve to
> >everyone's satisfaction.  To me it seems natural for "quilt commit" to
> >commit the patches/series, since that where quilt keeps its long-term
>
> What does commit mean to you?  Are you using CVS terms?  Does it mean, "check
> specified files into the SCM repository"?
>
> So let's look at the opposite--in a BK tree a "quilt push" might first have to
> checkout the series file and any necessary patch files.  A "quilt import"
> might have to checkout the series file.

Please keep the following issues in mind:

(1) Some people use quilt with patches as first-class objects (meaning
    that the repository contains patches), while others use quilt only
    for managing changes before submitting the changes to the SCM. What
    a commit is differs a lot.

(2) It makes no sense to slow down common operations like push and pop
   noticably with whatever SCM hooks.

I'm using quilt plus patches in CVS; personally I've never really missed
CVS integration: Adding new patches manually takes an insignificant
amount of time compared to creating/reviewing patches, and CVS warns
about files that are not part of the repository, anyway.

Cheers,
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>
SUSE Labs, SUSE LINUX AG