Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.

From: Dean Roehrich
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] Quilt support for committing patches to CVS.
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:37:31 -0500

>From:  Joe Green <address@hidden>

>Yes, I figured changes like this would not be accepted in this form.
>Looking at the various patches should make it easy to figure out where
>the hooks need to go, though.

I think most of us have been keeping these patches to ourselves for that same
reason.  Now that three have been presented we can see a variety of
requirements.

Your patch expects CVS to manage the series file and the individual patch
files rather than the files being patched.  It has hooks in
fork/delete/import/refresh/patchfns to coordinate with CVS before modifying
the series file or any patch file.  Your "quilt commit" commits the series
file and all patch files to CVS and does not allow the user to specify that
only a particular patch file or only the series file should be committed.

Jason's patch presumably requires that "quilt commit" be manually run for each
file that will be patched by the next "quilt push".  (Again, my knowledge of
CVS is very thin.)  It also implies that the series file and the individual
patch files are _not_ managed by CVS.  He does not have hooks in other parts
of quilt to attempt any kind of coordination with CVS.

My patch expects the SCM to manage the files being patched, and currently does
not expect the series file or the individual patch files to be managed by the
SCM.  I have hooks in add/apatch/patchfns to make quilt coordinate with the
SCM, and it also determines which SCM is being used so it can issue the
appropriate commands.

There's not a lot of overlap here; we're almost solving three different
problems and I think we have at least two very different ideas of what a
"commit" is all about.  Maybe I need someone CVS-savvy to elaborate on how
Jason's "commit" command is used...am I understanding it correctly?

Dean