RE: re[2]: [rdiff-backup-users] Still thinking about windows

From: Törrönen, Paul-Erik
Subject: RE: re[2]: [rdiff-backup-users] Still thinking about windows
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:29:49 +0200

Yes.

> I want to backup Win2K ms-sql servers to a Linux box (Suse)
> running XFS as the FS.
> Do you think that should work smoothly?

Well I don't have experiense of running a rdiff-backup as a
server on a Windows-box, instead what we do is that we make
a scheduled dump in MS SQL to a shared directory readable
only by the backup-user, this is then smbmounted from a
Linux-box which runs the rdiff-backup on it as it was a
local directory. One thing to note if doing smb-mounted
backups is that some programs, if running, lock the used
files (eg. Outlook and .pst-files) in such a manner that
rdiff-backup is unable read the file.

Poltsi

Paul-Erik Törrönen
Cardinal Information Systems Ltd
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 C, 00150 Helsinki, FINLAND
E-mail: address@hidden
Mobile: +358 (0) 40 703 1231
Phone: +358 (0) 424 162 4204
Fax: +358 (0) 424 162 4207