Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GenArtWare, tools

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GenArtWare, toolset for prosuming generative art/media
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 07:37:22 +0200

Hi,

About prices, it does not seem to be in contradiction with our policies.

  Regarding integration of third party software (CSound etc..) you
must be extra careful that it is released under a license compatible with
the GNU GPL and that licensing terms are properly applied. You need to
do this if you integrate (different from depending on another program in
the sense that you copy the program into yours instead of depending on
it for runtime). It is reasonable to start as a single project as long as the
third party software integrated into your project is not large. If it
becomes large it will be a problem for project management and for Savannah administration (we currently do not host GNU/Linux distributions for this reason). When and if your project grows you will have to split it into different Savannah projects.

The resulting fragmentation will not be a problem. You can easily glue all the projects together via web pages. Savannah is really a backend storage and development tool. Glue between projects is best done thru a web site that points to the relevant CVS / tasks / bugs pages on Savannah.

So you can re-register your project with statement relative to the things we talked about.

Regards,

Le mer 03 jui 2002 à 13h28, Zeljko Blace a écrit :
On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is genartware a software or the project of creating "several
> applications"?

we would first try to use existing applications (slightly modified for
this purpose) like CSound and PureData or jMax even... and than decide
on
design issues and dynamics ... to go from scratch or continue
modifaying
tham.

> If it is a big project which would carry many differents
subprojects,
> each subproject should have his proper project account on savannah.
> For example, the project DotGNU have several subprojects on
savannah,
> as DotGNU Libraries, DotGNU forum system.
> Can you clarify this point?

This is reasonable argument after the initial planning and research
part is over...know it would only fragment things ... we would like to
keep it centerd for first year and than devide things.

> You haven't said anything about dependancies. About sound, images,
the
> problematic point is the over-representation of proprietary
standards
> and libraries. Can you state your position? Note that savannah host
> only projects that can be installed, used, without installing
> proprietary libraries or softwares. That means that your program can

> support proprietary extension but should work anyway well without
it.
> You surely understand that we dont want to incitate people to
install
> proprietary stuff.

I am well awear of this fact and we will mosty relay on existing free
formats like ogg and xml ... when we decide to start new format
development it will be FREE. No need to worry.

> Also, could you create a tarball with the code as it now exists
> and make it available to a temporary URL?

There isn't any tarball as we are now collecting the works of
individual
works from PD and CSound communities to learn on their strategies.
It might take 3/4 months before we actually get into the coding!
We even plan to open a public call for people to submit code that
meets
requierments (FREE, crossplatform and expandable) and award with some
cash/travel price person who submits best code for start of the
project
and builds the fundation.

Would such award be against policies(as it would not be a fee but
maybe
travel to Croatia or something like that)?

Regards
Zeljko