Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Timetable evaluation]

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Timetable evaluation]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:40:07 +0100

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 10:06:12PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Is there any reason not to accept his package as a non-GNU package?

He did not show us the source code. I had some e-mail exchange with him (see a
transcript attached) but I did not manage to see his code to try to
figure out what the program does and whether it is really free.

> (Why is it that you have not responded to him yet?
I did respond to him very promptly (within 2 days of his request).

> I would like to think about whether our system should be changed.)
Users hate having to resubmit their projects several times and having to show
their source code.

We could come up with some method to keep projects on hold for some time (we
currently remove incomplete applications after a week, when the project
moderation passes from one volunteer to another).

Regarding the review of the source code, should we change our current policy
of requesting for a copy of the current source code?

-------------------------
To: address@hidden
From: address@hidden
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:28:18 -0500

Package: timetable
Type: GNU

Timetabling a faculty\'s courses.
It uses a genetic algorithm.
Its input is an xml file, its output is plain txt or xml files.

Other Comments:
I already sent this project for evaluation for inclusion in the gnu project
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:09:56 +0000
From: "Jaime E . Villate" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden
Please register your project again including a URL
(could be temporary) where the source code can be found.
Even if you already sent a copy of the source code to the GNU evaluators,
you should also tell us where to find the code, since the two processes
(evaluation for the GNU project and hosting in Savannah) are independent.
We will approve your project as a non-GNU project and will later move it into
the GNU area when it gets approved in GNU. If you want it to be in the GNU
area from the beginning, you should them wait until the GNU evaluation is
done, before registering it in Savannah.

The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times. Thank you for your
understanding.
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 00:45:04 +0200
To: address@hidden
From: Lalescu Liviu <address@hidden>

Please keep in mind that I asked for your help because I DIDN'T HAVE A WEB page
to put my program.
How could I send them to you? (Why does it seem that NOBODY is interested in
really just making my FREE SOFTWARE available for someone who might need it? I
submitted the program to gnu evaluation 1 month ago and no response).
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:49:26 +0000
From: "Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden>
To: Lalescu Liviu <address@hidden>

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:45:04AM +0200, Lalescu Liviu wrote:
> Please keep in mind that I asked for your help because I DIDN'T HAVE A WEB
> page to put my program.
> How could I send them to you?
by e-mail; in an attachment (as explained in the project registration pages).

> (Why does it seem that NOBODY is interested in really just making my FREE
> SOFTWARE available for someone who might need it? I submitted the program to
> gnu evaluation 1 month ago and no response).
Keep in mind that we receive daily a lot of requests like yours and in many
cases the software is not really FREE. To make sure the software is free we
need to look at the source code.

The GNU evaluation team have a harder job than we do, and they are just
volunteers (as we are) who can only work on this on their spare time. We can
not give any guarantees as to how much time it will take us to be able to do a
simple task.